Pastor Aaron Choi
Vision #1: A church that engages in God-centered worship and not man-centered
Here at Berean, our vision is to glorify God by establishing:
1. A church that engages in God-centered worship and not man-centered
2. A church that equips every believer with God’s inerrant Word
3. A church that builds a community through love and accountability
4. A church that reaches out to its community locally and globally with the gospel of Jesus Christ
“Perhaps the greatest need in all of Christendom is for a clear understanding of the biblical teaching about worship. When the church fails to worship properly, it fails in every other area. And the world is suffering because of its failure.” (John MacArthur)
“Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god to worship . . . is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough. Worship your own body and beauty and sexual allure, and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths. Worship power, and you will end up feeling weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to numb you to your own fear. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart, you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. The insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they are evil or sinful; it is that they’re unconscious. They are default settings.” (David Foster Wallace)
Point 1: Worship the God of Holiness
- Is. 40:25 To whom then will you compare me, that I should be like him? says the Holy One
- Ex. 15:11 “Who is like you, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like you?
- Rev. 4:8 And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!”
Point 2: Worship the God of Glory
- Psa. 148:3 Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars! 4 Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!…7 Praise the LORD from the earth, you great sea creatures and all deeps, 8 fire and hail, snow and mist, stormy wind fulfilling his word! 9 Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars! 10 Beasts and all livestock, creeping things and flying birds!… 5 Let them praise the name of the LORD!
- Psa. 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God…
- “The fundamental problem in the evangelical world today is that God rests too inconsequentially upon the church. His truth is too distant, his grace is too ordinary, his judgment is too benign, his gospel is too easy, and his Christ is too common.” (David Wells)
Point 3: Worship the God of Grace
- Is. 57:15 For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.
- 1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.