Passage: Romans 11:7-10
1. God gave them a spirit of stupor (v. 8a)
- Isa 29:9-10 – Astonish yourselves and be astonished; blind yourselves and be blind! Be drunk, but not with wine; stagger, but not with strong drink!10 For the Lord has poured out upon you a spirit of deep sleep,and has closed your eyes (the prophets), and covered your heads (the seers).
- Ps 81:10-12 – I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.11 “But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me. 12 So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels.
- Rom 1:24-25 – Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
2. God gave them eyes that would not see and ears that would not hear (v. 8b)
- Romans 1:19-20 – For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So, they are without excuse.
- 2 Cor 4:3-5 – And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. 4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
3. Their tables will become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and retribution (v. 9)
- Ps 23:4-5 – Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil;my cup overflows.
- Rev 3:20 – Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.
4. Their backs will be bent because of their blindness (v. 10)