Romans 12:1 – I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
Point 1: We are commanded to take active part in our sanctification
- Rom 6:19 – For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.
- 2 Tim. 2:22 – So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
- Eph. 4:22-24 – to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
- 1 Cor 9:27 – But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
- Heb. 12:14 – Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.
Point 2: Sanctification is motivated and empowered by God’s grace
- Col 1:29 – For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.
- Phil 1:6 – And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
- Heb 12:2 – looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith
- 2 Cor 5:14-15 – For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.
- 2 Cor 3:18 – And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
Point 3: Sanctification is an act of worship
- John 4:23-24 – But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
- 1 Peter 4:9-11 – Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
Point 4: Sanctification is a logical response to God’s mercies