Passage: Romans 12:15, 16
15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be conceited.
21 Qualities of Biblical Love:
6. Biblical love is not slothful in zeal (v. 11a)
7. Biblical love fervently serves the Lord (v. 11b)
8. Biblical love rejoices in hope (v. 12a)
9. Biblical love is patient in tribulation (v. 12b)
10. Biblical love is constant in prayer (v. 12c)
11. Biblical love contributes to the needs of the saints and seeks to show hospitality (v. 13)
12. Biblical love blesses, not curses, when persecuted (v. 14)
- Hebrews 4:15-16 – For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
- John 1:14 – And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
- NASB- “Be of the same mind toward one another, do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.”
- 1 Cor 1:10 – I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.
- Phil 1:27 – Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,
- Phil 2:2 – complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.
- 1 Peter 3:8 – Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind
- Phil 2:5-7 – Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
- Gal 3:28 – There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
- Tim Keller— “True gospel-humility means to stop connecting every experience, every conversation with myself. In fact, I stop thinking about myself. The freedom of self-forgetfulness. The blessed rest that only self-forgetfulness brings.” “The way the normal human ego tries to fill its emptiness and deal with its discomfort is by comparing itself to other people. All the time.
- Mere Christianity— C.S. Lewis
“Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next person. We say that people are proud of being rich, or clever, or good-looking, but they are not. They are proud of being richer, or cleverer, or better-looking than others. If everyone else became equally rich, or clever, or good-looking there would be nothing to be proud about.”
- Prov. 26:12 – Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
- Isa 5:21 – Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and shrewd in their own sight!
- 1 Cor 3:18-23 (They were fighting over their preferences) – 18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,” 20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21 So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23 and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s
- Jeremiah 45:5 – And do you seek great things for yourself? Seek them not, for behold, I am bringing disaster upon all flesh, declares the Lord. But I will give you your life as a prize of war in all places to which you may go.”