Passage: Romans 10:1-4
A. The problem with the Jews was not that they lacked zeal.
- Matt 23:15 – Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel
across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a
proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves
B. Their zeal was not motivated by true knowledge.
- Matt 22:29 – But Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither
the Scriptures nor the power of God.”
- 2 Tim 3:7 – always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.
C. Four Characteristics of false zeal
1. False zeal is motivated by the fear of man rather than fear of God.
2. False zeal is focused on the external rather than the internal.
3. False zeal usually highlights what they’re good at and neglect what
they are bad at.
4. False zeal elevates themselves rather than God.