Pastor Aaron Choi
Berean Fourfold Vision #2: A church that equips every believer with God’s inerrant Word
- 2Tim. 4:1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
- Amos 8:11 “Behold, the days are coming,” declares the Lord GOD, “when I will send a famine on the land — not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD.”
- Vision #2: Here at Berean, our vision is to glorify God by establishing a church that equips every believer with God’s inerrant Word.
Point 1: The Importance of Expository Preaching
- Ezra 7:10 Ezra had set his heart to study the Law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach his statutes and rules in Israel.
- “Expository preaching is empowered preaching that rightfully submits the shape and emphasis of the sermon to the shape and emphasis of a biblical text.” (David Helm, Expositional Preaching)
- “The true idea of expository preaching is that the preacher should become the mouthpiece of his text, opening it up, and explaining it and applying it as the Word of God to his hearers, speaking in order that the text may be heard, and making each point from his text in such a manner that the hearers may indeed discern the very voice of God.” (JI Packer)
Point 2: The Importance of Expository Listening
- Ezek. 33:30 “As for you, son of man, your people who talk together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses, say to one another, each to his brother, ‘Come, and hear what the word is that comes from the LORD.’ 31 And they come to you as people come, and they sit before you as my people, and they hear what you say but they will not do it; for with lustful talk in their mouths they act; their heart is set on their gain. 32 And behold, you are to them like one who sings lustful songs with a beautiful voice and plays well on an instrument, for they hear what you say, but they will not do it.
Point 3: The Importance of Expository Living
- 1Th. 2:13 And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.