Passage: John 6-9
1. I am the bread of life (6:35)
- Deut. 8:3-4 – And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.
2. I am the light of the world. (8:12)
- Ps 36:9 – For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light.
3. I am the door (gate) (10:9)
4. I am the good shepherd
- 1 Tim 2:5 – For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
- Ezek 34:2-4 – “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy, and say to them, even to the shepherds, Thus says the Lord God: Ah, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep? 3 You eat the fat, you clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fat ones, but you do not feed the sheep. 4 The weak you have not strengthened, the sick you have not healed, the injured you have not bound up, the strayed you have not brought back, the lost you have not sought, and with force and harshness you have ruled them.
- Jer 8:11 – They have healed the wound of my people lightly, saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ when there is no peace.
- John 10:14-18 – I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”