Passage: Rom 12:9-10
Introduction: Love is the chief calling of all Christians
- Rom 13:8 – Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
- Gal 5:14 – For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
- 1 John 4:7 – Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.
21 Qualities of Biblical Love:
1. Biblical Love must be genuine.
- 1 Peter 1:22 – Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart,
2. Biblical Love must abhor what is evil.
- Matt 6:24 – “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.
- Rom 1:32 – Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
- Ps 101:3-4 – I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil.
- Matt 5:29-30 – If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
- Heb. 12:3-4 – Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.
3. Biblical love calls us to hold fast to what is good.
- 1 Peter 2:2-3 – Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
- 2 Tim 2:22 – So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
- Phil 4:8 – Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
- Heb. 12:16 – that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.
4. Biblical Love calls us to brotherly affection.
- John 19:26-27 – When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.
- 1 Tim 5:1-2 – Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father. Treat younger men like brothers,2 older women like mothers, younger women like sisters, in all purity.
5. Biblical love outdoes one another in showing honor.
- Phil 2:3 Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
- 1 Cor 13:1-3 – If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.